Elders and retirees looking for senior living options have many different senior housing communities and service providers available to them. Depending on the specific needs of each senior, a suitable option can be chosen.
The following are some of the senior living options. The terminology and naming convention of various facilities and services may be used differently.
- Independent Living Retirement Communities
- Independent Senior Living Communities
- Assisted Living Facilities
- Alzheimer’s Care / Memory Care / Dementia Care Facilities
- Skilled Nursing Centers / Nursing Homes
- Respite Care / Short Term Care
- Adult Day Care Facilities
- Residential Care Homes – CBRFs
- Continuing Care Retirement Communities- CCRCs
Each community may provide one type of living option or a combination of services. For example, several assisted living communities also include the memory care option to serve elders with memory/dementia related issues
In-home care is another option for seniors who can live in their homes but need assistance. Home care agencies send caregivers to the seniors’ residences to provide required services.